Last week Jasmin, a local student who has previously been a participant on the ‘Make Your Mark’ and the ‘D-Day’ projects, joined Making Space for a weeks work experience.
Jasmin currently attends Havant Academy and asked Making Space if she could have her weeks placement with us. Of course we were really keen to accept and help Jasmin gain some experience with the creative industries.
Jasmin chose a brilliant week to join us, as the week leading up to Open Studios is one of the busiest and exciting weeks in the Making Space calendar. She was able to help and assist all members of staff with the variety of jobs that needed doing in order to put on our annual Open Weekend.
We asked Jasmin to tell us about her week with Making Space, and here’s what she had to say; “My experience at Making Space has been really good. I think that all of the staff have been a pleasure to work with as they are so welcoming.”
During her week we made sure Jasmin got to try her hand at lots of different jobs, supporting the team in all areas including marketing, admin, curating and hosting.
Here are some of the main jobs Jasmin did during her week at Making Space.
- Printing and cutting up flyers for upcoming workshops
- Putting up posters
‘Made By Hands’, a student showcase:
- Writing up the students artists statements to go alongside their work
- Assisting in deciding the exhibition layout
- Helping to dress the mannequins and hang exhibition
D-Day Project – ‘A Stitch in Time’.
- Helping to unwrap and photograph textile pieces
- Deciding on the composition of the final display
- Assisting Ami to hang the work
Assisting with other exhibitions and displays including ‘Inspired’ a show of work made by participants and tutors
- Choosing images to include in a photo display of recent workshops
- Printing, laminating, trimming and putting up display
- Helping to create the labels for Inspired
- Painting plinths white
- Prepping materials and templates for ‘The Queens Head’ activity.
General Admin Support:
- Tidying and reorganising the stationary cupboard
- Buying refreshments & collecting glasses for the PV Night.
- Creating the box for feedback forms
- Helping to set up the spaces and open the building ready for visitors
- Meeting and greeting guests, getting them to sign in & give feedback
- Helping on refreshments
- Invigilating the exhibition spaces
Jasmin was a great help over the week and we hope to continue offering young people the chance to experience what it’s like to work within a creative organisation.
Jasmin adds “I have really enjoyed being here as it was a really great insight to how and what the world of work is like. Some of the best things that I liked on work experience were: Sorting out where the D-Day pieces were going and just being around a lot of positive and caring people.”