Learning Through Craft
- 5th June 2018
- Posted by: Ami Lowman
- Category: Community Projects
Learning Through Craft
Tuesday 3 July 2018 4pm – 6.30pm
The Westgate School Cheriton Road, Winchester, SO22 5AZ
Tickets | £5.00
Learning Through Craft is a pilot project which took place in 2017/18 that aimed to ignite teachers’ interest in and understanding of the value of craft in children’s creative, cultural and intellectual development. It developed new skills and awareness for teachers and professional artist-makers, who delivered a high quality hands-on experience for children in key stage 1 / 2 through training and workshops. It involved 4 professional makers, 4 schools, teachers, teaching assistants, volunteers and 125 pupils.
Find out about their approaches and current thinking from partners, including presentations from The National Society for Education in Art and Design, Artswork and Crafts Council. Enjoy a display of photographs, sketch books and art work by pupils and a summary of the project from Making Space. Join in breakout sessions which will inspire you to think about how Craft in Education could work in your settings.
Who is this event for? Teachers, teaching assistants, senior school leaders, professional and emerging artists and makers and anyone who is interested in the value of art in education and in pupils’ lives.
4pm Arrival – registration, refreshments and networking
A display of artwork made by pupils
4.30pm Welcome introduction from Lesley Butterworth, General Secretary of The National Society for Education in Art and Design
4.40pm A summary presentation about Learning Through Craft by Lynne Dick, Director of Making Space
4.50pm Break Out Sessions (a choice of 2 during the event) – 30 minutes each
- Practical Making Session led by 2 of the Learning Through Craft makers and a teacher exploring processes, handling tools and discussing some of the practical aspects of what they gained working with young pupils
- Arts Award led by a Learning Through Craft maker exploring how they applied Arts Award in a classroom setting
- STEAM – what are the issues for teaching and for the arts – led by Lorraine Cheshire (Artswork)
- Value of creative learning and exploring pedagogies – led by Paul Key & Vanessa Rolf
5.20pm Break Out 2nd choice sessions
5.50pm Questions and discussion panel
6.10pm Key note address from Nicki Dewar, Head of Learning and Talent Development, Crafts Council
6.25pm Closing remarks. Future project.
6.30pm Event close.
To download event information including the event outline please click here.
Interested in coming?