Through generous funding from The Arts Society Portsdown, Making Space has been able to launch our first ever Youth Forum for creative 15-19 year olds.
At a time when arts subjects are not being supported in school, Making Space is in a prime position to support young people in finding pathways into understanding and gaining access to the creative sector. We are keen to build on our successes and ensure the voice of young people is threaded through our charity, helping us shape how we work and continue to innovate going forwards.
Our new Youth Forum will engage young people who feel ready to develop leadership, research, devising, creative planning and team work skills. This group will inform our programming and take the lead on planning a large scale creative project.
The Youth Forum is able to accommodate up to 14 proactive and enthusiastic young people aged 15-19, this might include young people who have already taken part in previous activities/projects or those with an interest in creative career pathways. The Youth Forum will expand participants knowledge and experience, enabling each young person to understand the broader arts world and consider their place within the sector, in terms of options for continued learning, enjoyment and fun!
- The Youth Forum will meet once a month in 1.5hr session at a time and place decided by the participants.
- There will be 2 ‘Go & See’ opportunities to enable to group to go to a gallery, museum, design studio or back stage etc
- The Youth Forum will be co-ordinated by our Young Trustee; 19yr old Victoria Edwards and supported by Making Space Staff.
- There will be 6 creative Masterclasses which take place throughout the year. Youth Forum members can decide what they want to do in these sessions.
- There will be options to undertake the Arts Award at levels Bronze – Gold paid for by the project (these can be used on CV’s and as UCAS points)
- The Youth Forum will play a pivotal role in planning and leading on a project which Making Space will apply for funding for (such as Heritage Lottery Fund: Young Roots)
- The Youth Forum will create opportunities to share their work with others and mark key milestones (such as gaining an arts award / sharing findings from a ‘Go & See’
- All sessions are £1.50 each and participants can sign up for 2 x blocks (see below for details)
Tuesday 5 March – First Youth Forum Session & Creative Masterclass *Click here to book*
- Work with Jewellery Emma Burfoot & make a personalised hand-stamped copper pendant which you can make into a necklace, bracelet or keyring.
- A chance for initial members to get together and get to know one another, to start planning ideas, find out about the arts award, and think about the ‘Go & See’s’ and the masterclasses. The group will also be able to plot in upcoming dates to fit around commitments & exams.
- Session runs from 7-8.30pm (refreshments provided)
Interested and want to get involved?
We’ve divided the year programme into two 1/2 blocks.
Those interested in being a part of the Youth Forum & coming along to the creative sessions / Go & See’s can sign up now and reserve their space.
The blocks are as follows:
Youth Forum Spring/Summer Block: £13.50 *Click here to book*
- Youth Forum sessions x 6 (March, April, May, June, July August 2019)
- Creative Masterclasses x 3 (April, May, August)
- Go & See Event x 1 (date tbc)
Youth Forum Autumn/Winter Block: £12 *Click here to book*
- Youth Forum Sessions x 6 (September, October, November, December 2019, January, February 2020)
- Creative Masterclasses x 2 (October, February)
- Go & See Event x 1 (date tbc)
We would like to take the opportunity to thank The Arts Society Portsdown for supporting this project and Making Space.